Sustainability practices form a basis for choice in many people’s lives these days. We choose to deal with companies that follow at least some sustainable practices in their business, so how can we choose a transport company in the same way? What does sustainability look like for such a company?
You can use a platform such as IFR8 to choose a freight company where freight must be sent from A to B in our modern world and there are many different kinds of vehicles used in its transportation, from plane to ship and from van through to huge semi-trailer or BWs. Goods can even travel by car, motor bike or pushbike – think in terms of mail or newspapers for the last few.
The thing is, how can we know which freight companies use sustainable practices in their business? it’s not that easy to tell, but here are a few hints.
- They’ll have a good reputation for efficient delivery and few break-downs because one sustainable practice is to have vehicles that are well maintained.
- They’ll be running a successful business simply because they are so efficient, so it’s likely you will notice their distinctive trucks on the road wherever you go.
- Their website should mention the importance of eco-friendly practices and tell you how they manage it. They may also have won various environmental awards and these too, will be mentioned on their website or in the advertising literature.
- They may support other businesses that also practice sustainability and they support charities or charitable projects so they can give back to the community.
- Some shippers may support moving freight using rail, since one train can replace 280 trucks and move freight for much less fuel per tonne than a truck.
- A company that has been around for a long time is likely to be one that is eco-friendly because such practices actually save a company on costs, making it more successful.
- If you see modern trucks and equipment, these are more fuel efficient than older models, so the company is being eco-friendly using them, whether they are into saving the earth’s resources or not.
- While the trucks are important, a freight company must have offices and the people in charge of these should be into recycling and other green practices such as efficient heating and lighting that is energy saving.
- They will have driver training programmes to ensure their drivers know how to drive in a way that saves on fuel consumption.
It doesn’t take a lot of effort to find out if any company is environmentally friendly and has sustainability as one of its core values. Such a company is being socially responsible as well as being financially responsible so will be a successful business.