If you have carpet in your home like most people, there is sure to come a day when something gets spilled on it. When this happens, quick carpet cleaning must be undertaken immediately so that the spill doesn’t soak right through the base of the carpet into the floor underneath and so the stain doesn’t set. If you simply leave it to dry it will be twice as difficult to get out and the stain may never be fully removed. However, professional carpet cleaners can usually do a good job of cleaning most carpets.
So what are the four worst stains in a carpet? Most people will agree that they are: –
- Grease and
- Red wine
Here are some tips to deal with these biggies and reduce their effect on your precious floor covering.
- Never use hot water as this will set most stains, but especially blood.
- How to get these stains out of the carpet depends a lot on what the carpet is made of. Wool must be treated more gently than nylon. Wool carpets should not be saturated with water or cleaner as they take a longer time to dry and it could result in a patch of mould forming.
- Blot the stain from the outside in to prevent the stain spreading.
- Use a white towel that is damp rather than dry as water helps to absorb the stain.
- Take care to never use a cleaning cloth that is not colourfast as the colour can come out onto the carpet. That is why a white towel is recommended.
- If you have cleaning instructions for your carpet from the makers, follow them carefully.
- If you don’t, find out what the carpet is made of before any spills occur. It is important to know what the pile is as well as what the carpet is made from.
- If the carpet is made from wool or a wool blend, use a teaspoon of laundry wool wash detergent and a teaspoon of white vinegar mixed into a litre of warm water to blot those spills up with.
- It’s a good idea to mix up the above treatment and try it out on a hidden portion of carpet before any spills happen to ensure it doesn’t damage the colour. Once you know it’s fine you can keep the treatment in the cupboard ready for any spills that occur. It will save time wasted in preparing it.
- Once the treatment is over with, use a dry towel or paper towels and press them down onto the wet carpet with a heavy weight such as books or a coffee table upside down. This will help to get the moisture out from deep in the carpet.