When people start to get older they realise that it is more difficult to do all the chores around the home and garden that are needed to keep it in good condition. Often the garden and lawn are the first casualties because it takes a lot of physical effort to provide the maintenance and upkeep they need. But rather than move out of a home you love, why not get some landscape construction going to make the garden and surrounds easier to cope with?
From the experts at JSB Earth Moving, Here are some ways to stay in your home.
- Instead of having all that lawn to mow, water and fertilise, get a construction company in to replace it with a timber or composite deck. You’ll be able to sit out there and enjoy the sun without having to mow anything.
- Remove even more lawn and replace it with a low maintenance garden.
- Pave any remaining lawn next to the deck and have it decorated with pretty tiles, a water feature and pot plants.
- Add perennials and permanent shrubs to the garden and dispense with annuals that have to be replaced every season. This will save you digging and bending over to plant them and you’ll still have a nice garden.
- Use organic and non-organic mulch to prevent weed growth in any garden area you have left.
- Some people recommend replacing real lawn with fake turf, but this is not a good idea since it takes up a lot of the earth’s resources to make such stuff. Instead, replace it with a slower-growing grass or ground cover that does not need mowing.
- Remove plants that need constant pruning and replace with shrubs that will be the required size when fully mature. Your painful fingers will love you for it.
- If you have potted plants, choose tall pots so you don’t have to bend over to plant or weed them. In fact, higher ones won’t get the same weed seeds in them as low ones do. You can also place organic mulch on top of the pots to keep weeds out.
- Install automatic watering so you don’t have to stand outside with the hose. All you’ll need to do is make sure the connection to the tap is firm.
- If you have a small area of lawn left over, mow it with an automatic mower, or pay someone to do it for you.
When you don’t have to do physically hard work in the garden your back will be much better and you’ll be able to enjoy yourself in other ways. You could join a club for socialising, go to a dance or the movies or simply relax at home with friends and family.